Friday, July 18, 2008

Cooper Update


On Tuesday we had a follow up appt with the Utah Health Department. When Cooper was still in the Newborn ICU they had approached us and asked if we would be willing to sign up for it. Its all research oriented to see how well preemies adapt. They schedule you to come see them at 3 months, 9 months, 1 ½ yrs, 2 ½ yrs, and 4 ½ yrs. So needless to say we will be seeing them sporadically over the 4 yrs. Its really great though as a parent. They do more developmental testing than a regular pediatrician would. You meet with 4 - 5 different depts and everyone does there own thing. First we met with a pediatrician, then a neurologist, he had a hearing evaluation, a speech screening, and finally a nutritionist. Unfortunately this takes any where from 3-4 hours. Oh well its all good to know how he is doing. Everyone we met with thinks he is just amazing for being “ A 29 weeker!” That is what they call him being born at 29 weeks gestational age. His only down fall is since he starting to get really active he is burning a lot more calories. He is 27.5 inches long and only weighs 15 lbs 8 oz! I swear I am feeding him all his little belly can handle! So we have to beef up his diet by adding more formula than the usual 1 scoop to 2 oz ratio. We are supposed to be giving him 4oz w/ 3 scoops for added calories and adding a tsp of olive oil to his baby food throughout the day. For being so skinny though he isn’t that far away from walking. Maybe a couple more months is all. All in all he is an amazing baby. Kris and I are so blessed that he is doing so well for being so early and we will never take that for granted!

His 1st birthday is less than two weeks away! I just wanted to add this cute pic with a couple of teeth in it!

6 comments:

M. M. C. C. said...

he's almost 1!!!! wow, the time truly does fly. let me know how the party goes, and I better get to see some pics : )

M. M. C. C. said...

I designed it myself. but I got the background papers from shabbyprincess.com. if you need help with yours, let me know. I love the new header : )

Meg said...

Sorry it took me so long.. Your blog is SO cute!! I love it!! How did you get yours? I just downloaded paper from Shabby princess.com

The Davis Family said...

WOW!! THAT HAS BEEN A FAST YEAR! I STILL REMEMBER VISITING YOU IN THE HOSPITAL!

Ashley and Brett said...

Oh he's so cute Natalie! As to answer you question, I think there is a one year old in his class... Stacy (other cousin) did swimming with her daughter at one and she loved it! You should see her this year, fearless! If anything it has just been a fun thing for Isaac. His class is anywhere from first born to 3 years! So you should try it out! its way fun!

Rhonda said...

I love your page, it's so adorable. And that new picture of Cooper is adorable!

You're gonna have to check out my blog, you've been tagged. :)